2017 FUSRP - Student Application Guide
Additional Information and Guidelines Regarding the 2017 FUSRP Student Application
Students, supervised by a leading mathematician, will work on research projects in groups of two to five at the Fields Institute or, exceptionally, at the host institution of their supervisor.
At the time of application, applicants must be enrolled in an undergraduate program in a mathematics-related discipline.
The FUSRP accepts applications from undergraduate students from anywhere in the world studying at any university.
Deadline for submissions: February 28, 2017.
- Students from within the Greater Toronto Area (GTA) will be reimbursed for the cost of a monthly public transit pass (TTC Metropass).
- Students from outside the GTA will receive financial support for travel to and residence in Toronto (student residence housing at the University of Toronto Downtown (St. George) Campus) for the duration of the Program, and
- Students from outside of Canada will be provided the same support as students from outside the GTA, as well as medical coverage during their stay.
Students may also have the opportunity to visit the home campus of their supervisors to get to know their universities.
The University Health Insurance Plan
The University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) is a mandatory health insurance plan for all international and exchange students enrolled in an Ontario university. UHIP helps to cover the cost of hospital and medical services students may need to maintain their health while in Canada. Everything students need to know about UHIP is available online at www.uhip.ca.
Students who require UHIP should read the following instructions to complete the UHIP Application Form.
1) Print out the form and fill it in as described in the steps below
2) Only fill out section 1 and then sign and date section 4 on the second page
3) The “Member’s effective date of coverage” is the date you arrived in Toronto
4) Please leave the “Member ID #” and “Number of Months of Coverage” blank
5) Complete and email the form as a PDF to
During the application process, you will be prompted to upload your Curriculum Vitae (CV) together with a letter outlining your relevant background and experience. Your letter must:
- not exceed two letter-sized pages,
- be in 12-point Times New Roman font, with single line spacing,
- have top, bottom, and side margins that are no less than one inch.
Your letter and CV must be submitted in a single, combined PDF document.
For your application to be considered, you must also arrange to have the following documents provided directly to the Fields Institute, on or before the application deadline:
To submit your transcript(s), follow both of these steps:
1. Upload a scanned copy of your official transcript(s) into the on-line application. As part of the online application, unofficial transcripts may be submitted for initial review (formatted as PDF document). This step is not mandatory, but it is recommended.
2. Arrange for your official transcript(s)* to be sent directly from your degree-granting institution to the Fields Institute. This step is mandatory. An official transcript must be an original document bearing the institutional seal and official signature of the Registrar or copies verified by a school administrative officer and is one that is sent to Fields in one of two ways:
- Postal service (received by Fields in its original, sealed envelope) at:
- Electronic delivery
The use of secure electronically-delivered transcripts that are password protected. The document's certified digital signature embedded in the document PDF assures us that it has been prepared by the college/university and that the document is original and unaltered. Please check with the registrar's office of your college/university to see if they provide secure electronic certified transcript service.
If we do not receive your official transcripts before the application deadline, we would still consider your application for review with the caveat that unofficial transcripts submitted will be matched against official transcripts once received.
B. Letters or Statements of reference
Two letters or statements of reference from someone who can provide a candid evaluation of your qualifications or skills. You must provide a minimum of two and a maximum of three references. The referees will be contacted using the details you provide on the online application form. Please be sure to enter their information correctly. Your referees will be asked to submit their letters confidentially online as text or as a PDF file. It is the responsibility of the student to ensure that reference letters have been submitted by the application deadline.
Frequently Asked Questions
I am planning to graduate this upcoming June. Am I still eligible to participate in this program?
Yes, although preference is given to students going into their final year or earlier.