Singularity Theory and Geometry
Informal Workshop on Valuations
March 31 - April 4, 1997
An informal workshop on valuation theory is being held as a part of the Singularity
Theory and Geometry program. The main purpose is to collect, systematize and
summarize the existing body of knowledge about valuations, especially in what
relates to desingularization, the space of curves and ``Nash's dream'', or
the hypothetical theory of geometric resolution of singularities. There will
also be a few talks about valuations in model theory, where there have been
several exciting recent developments, including the study of subanalytic sets
and model theory of valued fields in positive characteristic.
Mathematicians who are participating:
- Julio Castellanos (Madrid),
- Vincent Cossart (Paris),
- Franz-Viktor Kuhlmann (Heidelberg and Toronto),
- Salma Kuhlmann (Heidelberg and Toronto),
- Monique Lejeune-Jalabert (Grenoble),
- Ana Reguera (Valladolid),
- Mark Spivakovsky (Toronto),
- Bernard Teissier (Paris).
Bernard Teissier will give a mini-course on valuations during a period that
includes the workshop.