Audio and Slides of talks Program
Organization Contact
General Information
Accommodation Visitor Resources

Athletics and Recreation

Athletic Centre, U of T
55 Harbord Street,
Phone: (416) 978-3437
Athletic Centre Guide is available at http://www.utoronto.ca/physical/Athletics_and_Recreation/infoservices.html

Visitors to the University of Toronto can purchase day passes for the University Athletic Centre. Short-term memberships for Conference/Workshop participants are $40/week.
Please contact reception at the Athletic Centre to purchase a pass. Day lockers and towel service are available but you must supply your own locks.

Back to index


To open a bank account: Bank accounts may be opened, with proper ID (passport, credit card, bank card from other bank), a deposit amount and proof of residence. A Social Insurance Number (SIN) may or may not be required. Non-Canadians, bring Canadian Immigration documents with you when you open the account. Please note individual banks have different criteria, a customer service representative at the bank can clarify the documentation required to open an account.

Currency Exchange: Money may be exchanged at a favourable rate at Banks and Hotels. Shops and restaurants will often accept U.S. currency, but at a less favourable exchange rate. Often the best rate is obtained on credit card purchases.

Back to index


It is a good idea to keep your bike locked up all times when you are not using it to prevent theft. There are bike lick-up posts located along the sidewalk on College Street and to the east of the building.

Please consult this Bike Retail Store Listing for purchase options.

City of Toronto sites:
Toronto Cycling Committee
Toronto map of bike trails
Toronto Parks and Recreation (Tel. 416-392-8186)
Toronto Island Bicycle Rental - Centre Island (Tel. 416-203-0009)
Bike Share Program (Tel. 416-504-2918)

Other related sites:
Toronto Bicycle-Commuter's Handbook
University of Toronto Outing Club
Ontario Cycling (tel. 416/426-7242)

Back to index

Child Day Care and Schools

The Toronto District School Board is located at 5050 Yonge St. and is an excellent resource for information about local schools for children.

The City of Toronto, Parks and Recreation run a variety of low-cost programs for children and families, which includes everything from sports and fitness to arts and culture.

There is a Family Care office at the University of Toronto that can provide assistance with information about local daycares and schools. Among other things, this centre offers emergency childcare resources.
Main Floor, Koffler Student Services Centre
214 College St.
Ph. 416 978-0951
Fax. 416 946-5466
E-mail. family.care@utoronto.ca

Temporary Child Care Suggestions
*Please note that this listing is not a recommeendation of childcare services and the Conference organizing committee assumes no liability for the services of the childcare centres listed. This listing is for information only.
The following links are 3 Toronto companies that offer services of temporary child care. See:

or http://christopherrobin.homestead.com/

return to index

Computing Services


under construction

Financial Support -- Reimbursement Claims

Invited speakers and students who have been offered funding to cover travel or/and local expenses will be reimbursed through a reimbursement claim.

Non-Canadian academic visitors who will be receiving expense reimbursement, do not require a work permit. but may require a visa to enter Cananda depending on their country of origin. See http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.html for a list of countries whose citizens require visas to enter Canada.

Expenses claimed will be reimbursed through an expense claim form, and may take 2-4 weeks to be processed from the time the form is submitted. Reimbursement payment will be sent to the mailing address entered on the reimbursement form.
Original receipts must accompany all expenses being claimed.
Participants reimbursed through Perimeter can download a form here:www.perimeterinstitute.ca/visitors/financial/visitor_expense_form.pdf and through Fields claim forms are available at: www.fields.utoronto.ca/resources/reimbursement.html .

We are able to reimburse in most European and American currencies and reimbursement payment will be in the currency of the mailing address entered on the reimbursement claim unless otherwise requested. If that currency is not available to us, payment will be made in US dollars.

Reimbursement of travel

All airfare expenses must be accompanied by a ticket and receipt showing amount paid . If submitting an e-ticket for reimbursement, attach all associated boarding passes.

Back to index

Health and Dental Services

Emergency Health Services - Dial '911'

Please also see Emergency Health Services for emergency resources and additional health information.

University of Toronto Health Service Clinic www.utoronto.ca/health
The above clinic will assist visitors with identifying physicians and other health resources, but is available only to registered U of T students.

CanHealth Medical Clinic
595 Bay St. (Atrium on Bay - at the corner of Bay/Edwards)(1 block north of Dundas)
Ph. (416) 598-1703
Without OHIP coverage $55 deposit is required to see a doctor. If tests and prescriptions are required then there is extra added cost on top of this.
Weekday Hours: Monday to Friday 8:00am - 8:00pm
Weekend and Holiday Hours: Sat.10:00am - 6:00pm, Sundays and Holidays 11:00am - 5:00pm

Without OHIP coverage $55 deposit is required to see a doctor. If tests and prescriptions are required then there is extra added cost on top of this.
For an additional listing of local clinics, please see:

· The Hospital for Sick Children
(For critically sick children – emergency/walk-in)
555 University Avenue Toronto, Ontario
Main number - 416-813-1500
Poison Information Line – 416-813-5900

· St. Michael’s Hospital
30 Bond Street (one block east of Yonge and Queen)
Toronto, Ontario M5B 1W8
Main number - 416-360-4000

Dental Services

There is a Dental Emergency Service which is strictly for emergencies and appointments are booked on the same day. The clinic is open 8:00am to midnight, 7 days per week. Payment must be made in full by cash or credit card.
1650 Yonge St. (north of St. Clair)
Dental Services are not covered by OHIP

The alternative is the U of T Faculty of Dentistry which may be a slow process, but is considerably cheaper than visiting a private dentist. The first screening is free to determine if you would be suitable for the program. A separate x-ray appointment is the next step, costing $44. Finally a diagnostic appointment is booked, costing $35. After this point you are assigned to a student and the student will discuss the cost and timeline for required services.
124 Edward Street, 416-979-4927
For more information see: http://www.utoronto.ca/dentistry/patientclinic/patientclinicmain.html


a) The main library for the University of Toronto is Robarts Library, at 130 St. George, on the northwest corner of Harbord and St. George. The hours of operation are as follows:
Monday through Thursday 8:30am to 11:00pm, Friday 8:30am to 6:00pm, Starday 9:00am to 5:00pm, and Sunday 1:00pm to 6:00pm.

b) The University of Toronto Mathematics library is separate from the main Robarts Library and located at: Sydney Smith Hall, 1000 St. George Street(Note: please refer to your campus map for all library locations). The majority of Mathematical texts and journals are located there.

University of Toronto library
The web based library catalogue may be accessed from this page http://www.library.utoronto.ca/

University of Toronto Libraries

Back to index

Niagara Falls

The website of the Greyhound Canada: http://www.greyhound.ca/scripts/en/FareFinder/step1.asp
allows one to find out the schedule of regular Greyhound buses from Toronto to the Niagara Falls (approximately every two hours), check the fares ($55 same day ticket, $42 for advanced purchase, $30 for a companion ticket). The bus terminal in Toronto is at (15-min walk from the FI):

Toronto Coach Terminal, 610 Bay Street, Toronto, Ontario (416) 393-7855

Also many useful questions are answered at
starting with "Are the Falls turned off at night ?" (The answer: No) to "How far is the Bus terminal from the Falls?" (2.5 kilometers from the Rainbow bridge).

Back to index


Underground at the Addiction Research Centre (entry on Spadina Ave., just north of College St.), and underground at the BCIT building (entry on Huron St.- see map(#19), just north of College St.).

Back to index

Religious Services on Campus and in Toronto


This resource link provides a listing of local restaurants on and off campus for Conference visitors.

Safety Resources

Emergencies: for Toronto Police dial   911
Campus Police 978-2222

Back to index


The University is a non-smoking environment. Do not smoke anywhere in University buildings.

Back to index

Tax Information

Visitors from outside of Canada may qualify for a refund on Ontario's GST tax. One way to get your refund is to complete the refund application form and send it to the Canada Customs and Revenue Agency (address included on form.) Be sure to sign and date your application and to attach original receipts or you can visit one of the participating duty-free shops to obtain a cash refund for eligible claims that do not exceed CAN$500.

Visitor refund enquiries:
1-800-668-4748 (within Canada)
(902) 432-5608 (outside Canada)

GST176 Application for Visitor Tax Refund (pdf format)

There is no refund of the tax paid on items such as: meals and alcohol; tobacco products; services such as dry cleaning and hairdressing; air, train, and bus tickets, or car rentals. Also, any goods that you consume or leave in Canada do not qualify for this refund.
For more information on eligibility, please see : http://www.ccra-adrc.gc.ca/E/pub/cp/rc4031eq/rc4031eq.html

Income Tax Payable on Research Stipends:
Non-canadians are required to pay taxes in Canada for income received. You’re a deemed resident of Canada for tax purposes if you stay in Canada for 183 days or more in the tax year or have residential ties with Canada or aren’t considered a resident of another country under the terms of a tax treaty between Canada and that country. If you are deemed a resident of another country under the tax treaty, you must contact the International Tax Services Office for the rules that apply to you.

For detailed information, please see:

Back to index

Toronto Resources
Toronto Weather

Back to index

Transit (TTC & GO)

The TTC has subway, streetcar and bus routes throughout Toronto. Tickets may be purchased at subway stations and at many stores.

Information can be found at http://www.city.toronto.on.ca/ttc/

For fare prices http://www.city.toronto.on.ca/ttc/fares.htm

For routes http://www.city.toronto.on.ca/ttc/schedules/index.htm

The TTC also provides Airport Service and is the least expensive method of getting to downtown Toronto. Toronto Airport Express offers another transportation to and from the airport. See http://www.torontoairportexpress.com/

Go Transit -- GO trains are commuter service to towns around the Toronto area. See http://www.gotransit.com/

Toronto Main Bus Terminal (one block north of Bay & Dundas) -- Located at 610 Bay Street, Tel. (416) 594-1010

Toronto Union Station (corner of Bay & Front Street) -- Located at 55 Front St. W. For VIA Rail, see http://www.viarail.ca/

Back to index

Travel to Toronto

- this link provides useful information about traveling to Toronto by plane, train and car.

Back to index

Visas -Canadian Citizenship and Immigration

Immigration Canada - Visas

It is recommended that non-canadian visitors have a valid passport to enter Canada. See http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.html for a list of countries whose citizens require visas. If you require a visa, contact the nearest Canadian Visa Office (at the Canadian Embassy or Consulate) as soon as possible.

For a list of Embassies and Consulates see:

For visa inquiries: Ph. 416-973-4444 (Monday to Friday 8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.)

back to top