January 24, 2009
Fields MathEd Forum Meeting
10 am - 2 pm
Fields Institute, 222 College Street, Toronto
1. Reports: OAME, OMCA, OCMA, and others
2. Announcements, updates
3. Research in Mathematics Education [actual order of presentations
* Alba Agostino (York University) Development of Multiplicative
Reasoning: The Role of M-capacity, Inhibition, updating and shifting.
* Paul Betts (University of Winnipeg) Thinking about embodiment
and other philosophies of mathematics with (gifted) high school
* Barbara Graves (University of Ottawa) We have no idea how capable
* Carolyn Kieran (University of Montreal) Technique
in Algebra: The Task of Rendering It Conceptual.
* Joan Moss (OISE) and Nathalie Sinclair (Simon Fraser) Teachers'
use of JUMP MATH: A discursive approach to studying program fidelity.
A light lunch will be served around 12 noon.
Remaining winter/spring term meetings: 28 February, 28 March, 25
April, 30 May