February  8, 2016
Our visitor information page provides information on the facilities and resources available to Fields Institute reseachers and visitors. For additional questions or concerns please contact programs(PUT_AT_SIGN_HERE)


Accounts -- Opening a Visiting Researchers Account

Upon arrival at Fields invited visitors to Fields are requested to check in with the Receptionist to open a members account. Building keys and/or an office key if assigned, a photocopy code and long-distance code if required. Also, you can pick up a reimbursement claim form if your visit is funded. Researchers accounts are opened with a credit card imprint as deposit or $50 cash, against which lost key charges, long distance or excess photocopying/printing will be applied.
For a computer account please visit Computing Support in office 338.

Address of Institute

222 College Street, 2nd floor
Toronto, Ontario
M5T 3J1
Phone: 416-348-9710
Administrative Fax: 416-348-9714
Visiting Member's Fax: 416-348-9385

HOURS: Monday to Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
return to index

Athletics and Recreation

Athletic Centre, U of T
55 Harbord Street, Phone: (416) 978-3437
Athletic Centre Guide is available at

Visitors to Fields can purchase a day pass at the Athletic Centre. Day lockers and towel service are available but you must supply your own locks. Long-term visiting graduate students, post-docs and professors can purchase monthly memberships. Please see the Program Office at the Athletic Centre to purchase a membership.
You will need to obtain a letter from the Fields Receptionist indicating your status with the Fields Institute.
For more information on the membership, please go to :

return to index


To open a bank account: Bank accounts may be opened, with proper ID (passport, credit card, bank card from other bank), a deposit amount and proof of residence. A Social Insurance Number (SIN) may or may not be required. Non-Canadians, bring Canadian Immigration documents with you when you open the account. Please note individual banks have different criteria, a customer service representative at the bank can clarify the documentation required to open an account.

To cash reimbursement cheques: (for visitors without a Canadian bank account): The Fields Institute can provide a letter to assist visitors to cash reimbursement cheques at the CIBC bank, corner of Spadina and College. Please contact the Program Team for a copy of the letter.

Currency Exchange: Money may be exchanged at a favourable rate at Banks and Hotels. Shops and restaurants will often accept U.S. currency, but at a less favourable exchange rate. Often the best rate is obtained on credit card purchases.

return to index


It is a good idea to keep your bike locked up all times when you are not using it to prevent theft. There are bike lock-up posts located along the sidewalk on College Street and to the east of the building.

Please consult this Bike Retail Store Listing for purchase options.

City of Toronto sites:
Toronto Cycling Committee
Toronto map of bike trails
Toronto Parks and Recreation (Tel. 416-392-8186)
Toronto Island Bicycle Rental - Centre Island (Tel. 416-203-0009)

Other related sites:
University of Toronto Outing Club
Ontario Cycling (tel. 416-426-7242)

return to index

Building Hours and Keys

The Institute doors are open between 9:00 am and 5:00 pm, Monday to Friday. However, visiting members have access to the Institute facilities 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. When you arrive at the Institute, a researchers account will be opened for you and keys may be acquired through the Fields Receptionist with an account deposit.

When entering or leaving the building after business hours, please do not let people who are unfamiliar to you enter the building. Visitors who are allowed access will have keys to enter the building. If you lose your keys, please notify the Fields Receptionist immediately.

return to index

Child Day Care and Schools
(School information for non-canadian visitors and postdoctoral fellows)

  • Registration Procedures for School-aged Children

    If the PDF or visitor to Fields is a Canadian Resident, or has been awarded permanent residency, he or she is eligible to register the child in a Toronto area school. Parents/guardians must provide the necessary documents:

    • proof of age, such as a birth certificate or passport
    • proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate, valid passport, Record of Landing, or Permanent Resident Card
    • proof of immunization
    • proof of custody
    • proof of address, such as lease agreement or utility bill with the parent’s/guardian’s legal name and child’s current address.

      The Toronto District School Board , located at 5050 Yonge St. and the Toronto Catholic District School Board at 80 Sheppard Ave. E. are excellent resources for information about local schools for children.

      The City of Toronto, Parks and Recreation run a variety of low-cost programs for children and families, which includes everything from sports and fitness to arts and culture.

      There is a Family Care office at the University of Toronto that can provide assistance with information about local daycares and schools. Among other things, this centre offers emergency childcare.

      Main Floor, Koffler Student Services Centre
      214 College St.
      Ph. 416 978-0951
      Fax. 416 946-5466

  • Temporary Child Care Suggestions

*Please note that The Fields Institute is not in a position to recommend childcare and assumes no liability for the services of the childcare centres listed. This listing is for information only.
The following links are Toronto companies that offer services of temporary child care. See:

  • Campus Child Care Centres:

    *Please note that The Fields Institute is not in a position to recommend childcare and assumes no liability for the services of the childcare centres listed. This listing is for information only.

    • Child Care Subsidies Information Line: Tel.(416) 392-5437
    • Campus Community Cooperative Day Care Centre
      370 Huron Street, Toronto, ON M5S 2G4
      Telephone: 416-946-0875
    • University of Toronto Early Learning Centre
      7 Glen Morris St & 252 Bloor St.W.,Toronto
      Telephone: 416-978-6725
    • University of Toronto, Child Care "on Charles Street"
      35 Charles Street West, Toronto
      Telephone: 416-415-2604

  • City of Toronto Child care locator - An interactive map which displays the 900 licensed child care centres in Toronto serving children from infancy to school age, as well as information and ratings of services provided.


  • St. Joseph's Health Center Just For Kids Clinic - The Just For Kids Clinic is a Paediatric walk-in clinic for children up to their 18th birthday, open daily.

  • Miles Nadal Jewish Community Centre (MNjcc) - This Community Centre located at the nearby intersection of Bloor and Spadina offers a range of services, including an After School Program and the Libbie Cowan Childcare Centre.


return to index

Computing Services

    Computing Assistance

    • Computing Support Specialist, Room 338, Phone: 416-348-9710 ext. 3039, Email:

    • Fields Computer Account

      Computer accounts are available to visiting researchers at Fields. Please see the computing support about opening an account. There is a printing allowance depending on your length of stay (usually 100 or 500 pages per month). Printing over the given allowance will be charged at the rate of $5.00 for every 250 pages (or part thereof.) You have the option of paying through your credit card or by cash.

      Printers are located on the third floor (room 345, behind the photocopier) and the fourth floor (room 445).

      Colour printing is available at a cost of $0.50/page. Please discuss arrangements with the Fields Receptionist.

      Accessing Your Email, the Web, or an Account at your Home Institution

      If you need to connect via telnet or ssh (also called slogin) to a remote system at your home institution (e.g. to check your email), but you don't have a Fields computer account, you can use one of the common-area Windows or Macintosh computers (see the sign beside the machine for login instructions and obtain the " windows/macintosh password" from the receptionist or you can use one of the Linux terminals or workstations by entering a special “telnet/SSH only” login id and password which you can obtain from reception.

      For browsing the web or accessing web-based email, the Windows or Macintosh computers should be sufficient. If they are not, you will need to open a Fields computer account.

      Remote Access

      You may access your Fields computer account remotely from another Internet-connected computer by using ssh or slogin to You may also access your Fields computer account from a Java-enabled web browser by going to

      Office and Common-Area Workstations

      All visitor offices are equipped with Linux workstations, and there are also Linux workstations and Windows/Macintosh computers in the common areas of the building:

      * On tables in the third floor hallways are a Windows computer, a Macintosh computer, and ten Linux workstations. The Windows/Macintosh computers are by the entrance to the staircase, to your right as you face the staircase.

      * A Self-serve scanner is available for visiting members at Fields. A Fields Institute computer account is required, however.The scanner is attached to one of the Linux workstations on the table in the third-floor hallway next to Room 338.
      To use the scanner, log in to that workstation using your regular Fields computer account, and choose "Use the Scanner" from the Applications menu. This software provides a simplified series of prompts for selecting the most common scan types, ensuring you end up with a scanned file that is of an appropriate size and quality. For assistance, or to report problems, please see Computing Support in Room 338.

      * Fields Institute account holders can use their account to log in to any of the Linux workstations. You will see the same files no matter which machine you use. Some offices have two workstations; others have a vacant network port for laptop connections. The workstations are of varying speeds.

      As described above, visitors without a computer account can obtain ssh/telnet access on any of the Linux workstations, and can obtain general Internet acess on the common-area Windows and Macintosh computers.

      See the signs beside these machines for more information.


      Laptops can be used inside the Institute building through a direct Ethernet cable connection (wired) or through a wireless connection.

      • Please ask for a laptop connection information sheet from the receptionist or person coordinating your event. This will have the encryption key needed for a wireless connection and an authorization key needed (for both wired and wireless connections) to register your laptop if you don't have a personal Fields computer account. (It is no longer necessary to manually provide the computing staff with your laptop's "MAC" address).

      • For a wired connection, designated laptop stations, complete with network cables which you can plug straight into your laptop, are available:

        • In the computer room on the second floor (space for 2 laptops)
        • On two tables in the third floor hallways (space for 4 laptops on each table)
        • On a table in the fourth floor (space for 4 laptops)

      • Network ports are also available for your use in the library and in some offices, but please check the information sheet for how to identify vacant ports in your office (as some offices only have telephone ports available, not network ports). In most offices you will also need to provide your own cable (or ask to borrow one). If you want one of the Fields computers in your office removed so you can connect your own laptop or desktop computer, then please contact Fields Computing Support in Room 338. Phone: 416-348-9710 ext. 3039, Email: sysadmin<at>

      • For a wireless connection, use the network name and encryption key provided on the laptop information sheet you were given.

      • After connecting your laptop (whether by wired or wireless connection) you need to follow the instructions on the laptop information sheet to register it on our network. If you have your own personal Fields Institute computer account, you can use your user name and password to register your laptop. If you don't, you can use the temporary access code printed on the laptop information sheet.

      Personal Web Page
      You can post your personal web page by creating a file called "index.html" inside a directory called "public_html" inside your computer account's home directory. To make it readable by the outside world you must type the command "chmod a+x ~; chmod a+rX ~/public_html". The address ("url") of your personal web page will be " "
      To have your personal web page linked from the Institute's web page, give the URL of the page to the Computing Support ( We reserve the right to remove your file, if the content is unsuitable for public viewing.

      Video Conferencing, and SMART board resources

      return to index


    Afternoon Tea
    You are invited to attend the 'Afternoon Tea' at 3 p.m. Monday - Friday. This time offers an opportunity to interact with other visitors and the Institute staff. Note:the time may be changed for some workshop weeks.

    Coffee and Tea
    Coffee and tea are available in the kitchen for all Institute members. If you take the last cup of coffee from a pot during the hours the Institue is open, please make a fresh one. Instructions are posted above the coffee maker.

    Dining and Kitchen Area
    The dining area is provided for staff and members to enjoy their meals.
    The kitchen is available for your use. Feel free to use the microwave and the domestic refrigerator but please do not take anything that is not yours. The commercial refrigerator is for the use of the Institute staff ONLY with the exception of creamers/milk for coffee.
    Dishes are available for your use but each individual is responsible for cleaning their own dishes and keeping the area clean.
    Monday through Friday after 2:30pm, the kitchen will be in use for tea preparation. Due to space limitations, please schedule your use of the kitchen before 2:30 p.m.

    return to index

Emergency/Fire Safety

    Should a fire alarm sound, you are required to leave the building immediately. Stairwells are located at the NW (temporarily closed) and NE corners of the building on the third and fourth floors, the front staircase and the NE corner on the second floor. Please familiarize yourself with these exits. Do not use the elevator to exit the building when a fire alarm is sounding.

    return to index


    Local faxing (no need to dial '9' before the number) is available in Room 345. The number for this machine is (416) 348-9385. Please follow the instructions posted on the wall for sending a fax. For long distance faxes you will be required to use a long distance code or calling card.

    If you have any difficulties, see the receptionist, second floor.

    return to index

The Fields Medal

    At the 1924 International Congress of Mathematicians in Toronto, a resolution was adopted that at each ICM, two gold medals should be awarded to recognize outstanding mathematical achievement. Professor J. C. Fields, a Canadian mathematician who was secretary of the 1924 Congress, later donated funds establishing the medals which were named in his honor. Consistent with Fields's wish that the awards recognize both existing work and the promise of future achievement, it was agreed to restrict the medals to mathematicians not over forty at the year of the Congress. In 1966 it was agreed that, in light of the great expansion of mathematical research, up to four medals could be awarded at each Congress.
    For more information about the medal see:

    International Congress of Mathematicians
    John Charles Fields
    for more about John Charles Fields see Master thesis on John Charles Fields© by Marcus Emmanuel Barnes 2007

    return to index

Financial Support

    Funded visitors please see the Program Coordinators (Room #316) during your stay at Fields to have your funding support processed.

    1) Reimbursement Claims
    2) Research Stipends and information for non-Canadians

    1)Reimbursement Claims

      Short-term academic visitors who have been offered funding to cover travel or/and local expenses will be reimbursed through a reimbursement claim and may take 4-8 weeks to be processed from the time the form is submitted.
      Original receipts must accompany all expenses being claimed.

      Expense claim forms and details abotu the receipts required are available at:

      Non-Canadian academic visitors who will be receiving expense reimbursement, do not require a work permit, but may require a visa to enter Cananda depending on their country of origin. See for a list of countries whose citizens require visas to enter Canada.

    2)Research Stipend

    Visiting members and postdoctoral fellows who have been offered a research stipend must provide our accounting office with a local bank account (a voided cheque), local address and a social insurance number.

      Non-Canadian residents must have a work permit to legally work in Canada. International postdoctoral fellows must have a Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) work permit prior to coming to Fields to participate in a postdoctoral fellowship. Note, if the PDF was a student at a Canadian university and intends to remain in Canada to complete a postdoctoral position, he or she must apply for a Canadian work permit, even if the student authorization is still valid.

      Immigration Procedures

      1. Obtain a valid passport.
      2. Secure an engagement letter from Fields . The total stipend amount must be indicated, regardless of funding source. CIC must be sure that financial support will be sufficient for any individual entering Canada. If you are receiving funding from a source outside Canada, and/or Fields, such as a fellowship from your home country, university, a corporation, or research fund, the funding source and stipend must be indicated in the engagement letter.
      3. Complete the CIC work permit application and submit it to the visa office at a Canadian embassy, high commission, or consulate abroad. Provide a non-refundable application fee of $150 Canadian or the equivalent in your local currency.

      Postdoctoral Fellows are Human Resources and Social Development Canada (HRSDC) exempt and do not require HRSDC approval to conduct research/teaching activities in Canada. This exemption falls under regulation #205, code C44.

      Residents of the United States can apply for a work permit directly at a Port of Entry to Canada.

      PDFs who already hold a CIC work permit who wish to extend their stay in Canada, should complete a CIC work permit application. Additional information on how to change one’s current status, amend application and contact information, can be found on the CIC Web site.

      Social Insurance Number
      Non-Canadian visitors who will be receiving research stipends are required to have a Social Insurance Number (S.I.N.) to receive payment. To apply for a SIN number it is necessary to enter Canada with a ' work permit, HRSDC confirmation exempt' or 'study permit'. To apply for a SIN number you must enter Canada with a ' work permit, HRSDC confirmation exempt'
      (application form-
      or 'study permit' (
      Upon your arrival in Toronto, please take your passport, Fields invitation/documentation letter and your applicable immigration document issued by Immigration Canada to: Toronto City Hall Service Canada Centre,City Hall, Floor 1, 100 Queen Street West , Toronto, Ontario

      For visa inquiries: Ph. (416) 973-4444 (Monday to Friday 8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.) General information

      Also see Income Tax Payable on Research Stipends

    return to index

Health and Dental Services

      Emergency Health Services - Dial '911'

      Please also see Emergency Health Services for emergency resources and additional health information.

      University of Toronto Health Service Clinic
      The above clinic will assist visitors with identifying physicians and other health resources, but is available only to registered U of T students.

      The Doctors Office
      595 Bay Street
      Phone: 416-598-1703
      Hours: Monday to Friday 8:00am - 8:00pm
      Weekend and Holiday Hours: Saturdays 10:00am - 6:00pm, Sundays 11:00am - 5:00pm

      For an additional listing of local clinics, please see:

      • The Hospital for Sick Children
        (For critically sick children – emergency/walk-in)
        555 University Avenue Toronto, Ontario
        Main number - 416-813-1500
        Poison Information Line – 416-813-5900
      • St. Michael’s Hospital
        30 Bond Street (one block east of Yonge and Queen)
        Toronto, Ontario M5B 1W8
        Main number - 416-360-4000

      Dental Services

      There is a Dental Emergency Service which is strictly for emergencies and appointments are booked on the same day. The clinic is open 8:00am to midnight, 7 days per week. Payment must be made in full by cash or credit card.
      1650 Yonge St. (north of St. Clair)
      Dental Services are not covered by OHIP

      The alternative is the U of T Faculty of Dentistry which may be a slow process, but is considerably cheaper than visiting a private dentist. The first screening is free to determine if you would be suitable for the program. A separate x-ray appointment is the next step, costing $45. Finally a diagnostic appointment is booked, costing $40. After this point you are assigned to a student and the student will discuss the cost and timeline for required services.
      101 Elm Street, 416-979-4927
      The Clinics are in operation Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:15 p.m. with some exclusion.
      For more information see:

    Health Insurance - Applying When Coming From Out of Canada

      The University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) was created to offer affordable insurance to pay the cost of the hospital and medical services for non-canadian employees, international PDF's, visiting members and students so that they and their family may maintain your health while at a participating university in Ontario.

      If you are eligible you, and your family who come to Canada with you, must enrol in this plan. You will be protected by the plan as soon as you arrive in Canada but no earlier than the fourth month before the academic year begins. Please see the UHIP web site: ( Application form can be downloaded from:
      The minimum time period is 1 month, at a rate of approx. $63/mth/person. UHIP claim forms are available on the UHIP adminstrator's website.

      Visitors need to hand in their applications to the university UHIP plan administrator at Sidney Smith Building, 100 St. George St., Room 2017. You may also contact her directly at 416-946-5477 or email at ellen.brikaras<at> for further information. Post-doctoral fellows can visit the School of Graduate Studies, 63 St. George St. Rm 304 (416 946-5254) -- or contact sgs.postdoc<at>

      *Please note the UHIP plan is also required for all eligible dependents (partner/spouse or children). You should also note that your dependents may be limited for or even declined coverage if they are not enrolled within 30 days of their arrival.

      Post doctoral fellows working for less than six months and their family members who come to Canada with the PDF cannot get the government's OHIP (Ontario Health Insurance Plan), but PDF's working for at least six months can get OHIP after a three-month waiting period, but family members who come to Canada with the PDF cannot.

    Applying for OHIP (Ontario Health Insurance Plan)

      Ontario residents are eligible for provincially funded health coverage under OHIP ( To be eligible for Ontario health coverage you must:
      1. be a Canadian citizen or have immigration status in Ontario's Health Insurance Act, and
      2. make your permanent and principal home in Ontario, and
      3. be physically present in Ontario 153 days in any 12-month period
      OHIP coverage normally becomes effective three months after the date you establish residency in Ontario.

      OHIP Offices
      · 777 Bay St.
      · 200 Elizabeth Street – 1st floor (upper level) at the Toronto General Hospital (College & Bay)
      · Complete list locations available on-line at

      During the OHIP wait period it is necessary to have UHIP coverage

      1) Apply for OHIP - you will recieve an application from indicated the effective date of your OHIP coverage
      2) Visit the university UHIP plan administrator's office as soon as you arrive. For visiting Faculty members contact: Ellen Brikaras at (416) 946-5477 or email her at ellen.brikaras<at> and for the postdoctoral fellows contact: School of Graduate Studies at 63 St. George St. Rm 304 (416) 946-5254 or email to sgs.postdoc<at>

return to index

Holiday Schedule

    The Institute will be closed on the following dates in July 2014 - June 2015:

        Victoria Day Monday, May 19, 2014
        Canada Day Tuesday, July 1, 2014
        Civic Holiday Monday, August 4, 2014
        Labour Day Monday, Sept. 1, 2014
        Thanksgiving Day Monday, October 13, 2014
        Christmas/New Year
        shut down
        Monday, December 22, 2014 to Friday January 2, 2015 inclusive
        Family Day Monday, February 16, 2015
        Good Friday Friday, April 3, 2015
        Victoria Day Monday, May 18, 2015

    The Institute will be closed on the following dates in July 2015 - June 2016:

        Canada Day Wednesday, July 1, 2015
        Civic Holiday Monday, August 3, 2015
        Labour Day Monday, September 7, 2015
        Thanksgiving Day Monday, October 12, 2015
        Christmas/New Year
        shut down
        Wednesday, December 23, 2015 to Friday January 1, 2016 inclusive
        Family Day Monday, February 15, 2016
        Good Friday Friday , March 25, 2016
        Victoria Day Monday, May 23, 2016


return to index


    The James Stewart Library in the Fields Institute carries a small collection of texts and journals acquired through donations from various publishers and individual mathematicians. Donated books are catalogued according to the American Mathematical Society Classification system and are available for circulation only to visiting members.

    The Fields Institute's Publications, including the Communications Series and Monographs are also available in the library and may be purchased through the American Mathematical Society On-line Book Store.

    a) The main library for the University of Toronto is Robarts Library, at 130 St. George, on the northwest corner of Harbord and St. George. The hours of operation are as follows:
    Monday through Friday 8:30am to 11:30pm, Saturday 9:00am to 10:00pm, and Sunday 1:00pm to 10:00pm.

    b) The University of Toronto Mathematics library is separate from the main Robarts Library and located at: Bahen Centre, 40 St. George Street, 6th floor(Note: please refer to your campus map for all library locations). The majority of Mathematical texts and journals are located there.

    University of Toronto library
    The web based library catalogue may be accessed from this page

    How to Get a U of T Library Card
    In order to get a U of T Library Card, you need a letter stating that you are a Fields Institute visitor. Please see the Fields Receptionist if you would like to obtain a letter.
    The TCard Office is located in the north lobby, Room 2054A, 2nd floor, Robarts Research Library. For more information about the TCard, go to
    University of Toronto Libraries

    return to index


    Lockers are available in the coatroom on the second floor by the elevator. They require a quarter($0.25 CDN), which is automatically returned when the locker is re-opened. Please note that the Institute is not responsible for lost items.

    return to index

Logoware and Souvenirs from Fields

Mail Service

    There is a Canada Post outlet at the Campus Bookstore, which is located next door at 214 College. You can purchase stamps, send packages or courier mail. The Bookstore also supplies books, stationary supplies and gift items. The Canada Post outlet at the Campus Bookstore has a mail forwarding service available for a small fee. Please enquire with them for more details.

    Incoming Mail is delivered daily after lunch. Out-going mail with correct postage can be left with the receptionist for mailing. Each member here for more than two weeks has a mail folder in Room #445. Please check for your mail there. Before you leave the Institute please ensure that you inform the Program Team (programs<at> of your new address where you would like your mail forwarded.

    return to index

Mathematical Links

Niagara Falls

    The website of the Greyhound Canada:
    For fare information and the schedule of regular Greyhound buses from Toronto to the Niagara Falls (approximately every two hours) please call 1-800-661-8747.

    The phone number for Coach Canada fare information and schedule is 1-800-461-7661

    Toronto Coach Terminal, 610 Bay Street, Toronto, Ontario (416) 393-7855

    Also many useful questions are answered at:
    starting with "Are the Falls turned off at night ?" (The answer: No) to "How far is the Bus terminal from the Falls?" (2.5 kilometers from the Rainbow bridge).

    Also check out for information about the different activities to do while at the Falls. (This is a non-profit organization trying to promote the
    arts and culture in Niagara.)


Notary Information

Parking at Fields

    Underground parking on campus at the BCIT building (entry on at 213 Huron St.- just north of College St.

    Daily parking is also available in a pay lot across from the Institute on College Street. (cash only), underground at CAMH (entry on Spadina Ave., just north of College St.).
    Longer If you are staying for 4 months or longer and want a parking space, please contact the University of Toronto's Parking Office located at 100 College Street, Room 222 to complete an application. The phone number is (416) 978-7275.
    By Email: parking<at>

    return to index


Personalized Fields Mugs

    Personalized Fields mugs are given to invited long-term researchers who have offices at the Institute. Please see the Program Manager for information.


    There are photocopy machines available for your use on the third floor outside of Room 345. The Fields Receptionist can issue a code for scientific/academic copying that will allow access to these machines. Long-term visiting researchers will be given a limit based on the number of months their are stay at the Institute. On a special request, short-term visiting researchers will be given 25 copies. Anything over and above that number must be purchased from the Reception desk at the rate of $.05/copy. All personal copies should be paid for in office 324. If there are any machine difficulties, please report them immediately to a staff member. Colour photocopying is available through the Receptionist for $0.50/sheet.



    Visitor's pictures are taken upon their arrival at the Institute. Please see the Receptionist if we missed you.


Recycling & Garbage

    The Institute is involved in the University of Toronto Recycling program. Garbage is removed from offices by an UofT caretaker once a week, so members are kindly requested to empty your own garbage as required into the trashcans located around any common areas on each floors. You will also find recycling containers for bottles and cans in this area. The recycling blue boxes in your office are for paper only. Empty these into the bigger blue recycling containers located at the far east end halls on the 3rd and 4th floors. .

    Environment Committee

    The Fields Institute environmental committee monitors the institute's energy and resource consumption, and welcomes suggestions from members and staff about ways to reduce such consumption. Concerns or suggestions may be addressed to the Deputy Director at

    For more information about Recycling see Recycling and Garbage.

return to index

Religious Services on Campus and in Toronto


    This resource link provides a listing of local restaurants on and off campus for Fields visitors.

Safety Resources

    Emergencies: for Toronto Police dial   911
    Campus Police 978-2222


    • Call 416-978-7233 any time during escort hours to arrange for patrollers to come to your location.
    • Escort Hours are 7:00 p.m. - 12:00a.m, Monday through Friday
    • For prompt service calling in advance is recommended
    • The WalkSmart Service operates from the first day of classes in September to the last day of classes in April
    • WalkSafer does not operate during holiday breaks, on the weekends, during the summer or during reading week.

return to index


    The Fields Institute is a non-smoking environment. Do not smoke anywhere in the building. Ashtrays have been provided outside at the front entrance.

return to index

Staff List

return to index

Tax Information

Visitors from outside of Canada may qualify for a refund on Ontario's GST tax. One way to get your refund is to complete the refund application form and send it to the Canada Customs and Revenue Agency (address included on form.) Be sure to sign and date your application and to attach original receipts or you can visit one of the participating duty-free shops to obtain a cash refund for eligible claims that do not exceed CAN$500.

There is no refund of the tax paid on items such as: meals and alcohol; tobacco products; services such as dry cleaning and hairdressing; air, train, and bus tickets, or car rentals. Also, any goods that you consume or leave in Canada do not qualify for this refund.
For more information on eligibility, please see :

    Income Tax Payable on Research Stipends:
    The Canadian Customs and Revenue Agency has many different tax implications for International and non-resident visitors receiving stipends for their visit.

    Non-canadians are required to pay taxes in Canada for income received.

    While visiting Canada, as long as you are not considered a resident of a country that has established a tax treaty with Canada, you are required to pay taxes in Canada for the income you have received. You’re a deemed resident of Canada for tax purposes if you stay in Canada for 183 days or more in the tax year or have residential ties with Canada or aren’t considered a resident of another country under the terms of a tax treaty between Canada and that country. If you are deemed a resident of another country under the tax treaty, you must contact the International Tax Services Office for the rules that apply to you.

    For detailed information, please see:

return to index


The main phone number for the Fields Institute is (416) 348-9710. There is a payphone available on the 2nd floor of the Institute.

Office Phones:
There is one shared phone in each office that is equipped with voice mail. Dial 9 before dialing the telephone number when making outside calls.

To access your messages on voice mail please see instructions in the office by your phone.

return to index

Toronto Resources

For an extensive overview of activities and resource links click see or Toronto resource page.

Maps (Mapquest) (MapToronto)

return to index

Transit (TTC & GO)

The TTC has subway, streetcar and bus routes throughout Toronto. Tickets may be purchased at subway stations and at many stores.

The TTC also provides Airport Service and is the least expensive method of getting to downtown Toronto. Toronto Airport Express offers another transportation to and from the airport. See

Go Transit -- GO trains are commuter service to towns around the Toronto area. See

Toronto Main Bus Terminal (one block north of Bay & Dundas) -- Located at 610 Bay Street, Tel. (416) 594-1010

Toronto Union Station (corner of Bay & Front Street) -- Located at 55 Front St. W. For VIA Rail, see

return to index

Travel to Toronto

- this link provides useful information about traveling to Toronto by plane, train and car.
Note: As of June 1, 2009, everyone from every country that comes to Canada by air, land and sea needs a passport or equivalent travel document. (Some exceptions apply to children's passport requirements)

return to index

University of Toronto Campus Life

General campus inquiries 978-2323
About U of T: General Information --
Map of the University of Toronto Campus --
Campus News and Events --
Campus Life --
Math Department
U of T Directory --

return to index


Visas and Immigration for Non-Canadians

Immigration Canada - Visas

It is recommended that non-canadian visitors to Fields have a valid passport to enter Canada.
See: for information about visiting Cananda.
See for a list of countries whose citizens require visas. If you require a visa, contact the nearest Canadian Visa Office (at the Canadian Embassy or Consulate) as soon as possible.


Please notice the following excerpt from the Canada Immigration and Citizenship website:




Women in Mathematics _Posters