Postdoctoral Fellows Information

February 11, 2016
Our visitor information page provides information on the facilities and resources available to Fields Institute reseachers and visitors. For additional questions or concerns please contact programs(PUT_AT_SIGN_HERE)

For a complete list of resources for researchers at Fields

Financial Support

Funded visitors please see the Scientific Program Manager (Room #326) during your stay at Fields to have your funding support processed.

Research Stipend

Visiting members and postdoctoral fellows who have been offered a research stipend must provide our accounting office with a local bank account (a voided cheque), local address and a social insurance number.

    Non-Canadian residents must have a work permit to legally work in Canada. International postdoctoral fellows must have a Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) work permit prior to coming to Fields to participate in a postdoctoral fellowship. Note, if the PDF was a student at a Canadian university and intends to remain in Canada to complete a postdoctoral position, he or she must apply for a Canadian work permit, even if the student authorization is still valid.

    Immigration Procedures

    1. Obtain a valid passport.
    2. Secure an engagement letter from Fields . The total stipend amount must be indicated, regardless of funding source. CIC must be sure that financial support will be sufficient for any individual entering Canada. If you are receiving funding from a source outside Canada, and/or Fields, such as a fellowship from your home country, university, a corporation, or research fund, the funding source and stipend must be indicated in the engagement letter.
    3. Complete the CIC work permit application and submit it to the visa office at a Canadian embassy, high commission, or consulate abroad. Provide a non-refundable application fee of $150 Canadian or the equivalent in your local currency.

    Postdoctoral Fellows are Human Resources and Social Development Canada (HRSDC) exempt and do not require HRSDC approval to conduct research/teaching activities in Canada. This exemption falls under regulation #205, code C44.

    Residents of the United States can apply for a work permit directly at a Port of Entry to Canada.

    PDFs who already hold a CIC work permit who wish to extend their stay in Canada, should complete a CIC work permit application. Additional information on how to change one’s current status, amend application and contact information, can be found on the CIC Web site.

    Social Insurance Number
    Non-Canadian visitors who will be receiving research stipends are required to have a Social Insurance Number (S.I.N.) to receive payment. To apply for a SIN number it is necessary to enter Canada with a ' work permit, HRSDC confirmation exempt' or 'study permit'. To apply for a SIN number you must enter Canada with a ' work permit, HRSDC confirmation exempt'
    (application form-
    or 'study permit' (
    Upon your arrival in Toronto, please take your passport, Fields invitation/documentation letter and your applicable immigration document issued by Immigration Canada to: Toronto City Hall Service Canada Centre,City Hall, Floor 1, 100 Queen Street West , Toronto, Ontario

    For visa inquiries: Ph. (416) 973-4444 (Monday to Friday 8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.) General information

    Also see Income Tax Payable on Research Stipends

return to index

Health Insurance - Applying When Coming From Out of Canada
(for detail of UHIP coverage for Postdoctoral Fellows click here)

    The University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) was created to offer affordable insurance to pay the cost of the hospital and medical services for non-canadian employees, international PDF's, visiting members and students so that they and their family may maintain your health while at a participating university in Ontario.

    If you are eligible you, and your family who come to Canada with you, must enrol in this plan. You will be protected by the plan as soon as you arrive in Canada but no earlier than the fourth month before the academic year begins. Please see the UHIP web site: ( Application form can be downloaded from:
    The minimum time period is 1 month, at a rate of approx. $57/mth/person. UHIP claim forms are available on the UHIP adminstrator's website.

    Post-doctoral fellows can visit the School of Graduate Studies, 63 St. George St. Rm 304 (416 946-5254) -- or contact sgs.postdoc<at>

    *Please note the UHIP plan is also required for all eligible dependents (partner/spouse or children). You should also note that your dependents may be limited for or even declined coverage if they are not enrolled within 30 days of their arrival.

    Post doctoral fellows working for less than six months and their family members who come to Canada with the PDF cannot get the government's OHIP (Ontario Health Insurance Plan), but PDF's working for at least six months can get OHIP after a three-month waiting period, but family members who come to Canada with the PDF cannot.

Applying for OHIP (Ontario Health Insurance Plan)

    Ontario residents are eligible for provincially funded health coverage under OHIP ( To be eligible for Ontario health coverage you must:
    1. be a Canadian citizen or have immigration status in Ontario's Health Insurance Act, and
    2. make your permanent and principal home in Ontario, and
    3. be physically present in Ontario 153 days in any 12-month period
    OHIP coverage normally becomes effective three months after the date you establish residency in Ontario.

    OHIP Offices
    · 777 Bay St.
    · 200 Elizabeth Street – 1st floor (upper level) at the Toronto General Hospital (College & Bay)
    · Complete list locations available on-line at

    During the OHIP wait period it is necessary to have UHIP coverage

    1) Apply for OHIP - you will recieve an application from indicated the effective date of your OHIP coverage
    2) Visit the university UHIP plan administrator's office as soon as you arrive. For visiting Faculty members contact: Ellen Brikaras at (416) 946-5477 or email her at ellen.brikaras<at> and for the postdoctoral fellows contact: School of Graduate Studies at 63 St. George St. Rm 304 (416) 946-5254 or email to sgs.postdoc<at>

return to index

Tax Information

Visitors from outside of Canada may qualify for a refund on Ontario's GST tax. One way to get your refund is to complete the refund application form and send it to the Canada Customs and Revenue Agency (address included on form.) Be sure to sign and date your application and to attach original receipts or you can visit one of the participating duty-free shops to obtain a cash refund for eligible claims that do not exceed CAN$500.

Visitor refund enquiries:
1-800-668-4748 (within Canada)
(902) 432-5608 (outside Canada)

Application for Visitor Tax Refunds

There is no refund of the tax paid on items such as: meals and alcohol; tobacco products; services such as dry cleaning and hairdressing; air, train, and bus tickets, or car rentals. Also, any goods that you consume or leave in Canada do not qualify for this refund.
For more information on eligibility, please see :

Income Tax Payable on Research Stipends:
The Canadian Customs and Revenue Agency has many different tax implications for International and non-resident visitors receiving stipends for their visit.

Non-canadians are required to pay taxes in Canada for income received.

While visiting Canada, as long as you are not considered a resident of a country that has established a tax treaty with Canada, you are required to pay taxes in Canada for the income you have received. You’re a deemed resident of Canada for tax purposes if you stay in Canada for 183 days or more in the tax year or have residential ties with Canada or aren’t considered a resident of another country under the terms of a tax treaty between Canada and that country. If you are deemed a resident of another country under the tax treaty, you must contact the International Tax Services Office for the rules that apply to you.

For detailed information, please see:

return to index

Visas and Immigration for Non-Canadians

Immigration Canada - Visas

It is recommended that non-canadian visitors to Fields have a valid passport to enter Canada.
See: for information about visiting Cananda.
See for a list of countries whose citizens require visas. If you require a visa, contact the nearest Canadian Visa Office (at the Canadian Embassy or Consulate) as soon as possible.

For a list of Embassies and Consulates see:

For visa inquiries: Ph. 416-973-4444 (Monday to Friday 8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.)


Visitors who have been offered support to reimburse their expenses do not require a work permit while in Canada, this is only required if a stipend is offered.

Guest speakers, commercial speakers or seminar leaders can speak or deliver training in Canada without a work permit as long as the event is no longer than five days.
Organizers and administrative staff of international meetings or conventions being held in Canada do not need a work permit.

Visitors require a work permit if a stipend is offered.

1) Residents of the United States and permanent residents of the United States

Residents of the United States and permanent residents of the United States can apply for a work permit directly at a Port of Entry to Canada. Such residents do not need to apply for a work permit at the embassy, high commission, or consulate in their home country. Apply at the Port of Entry to Canada and provide the Immigration Officer at the border with all documentation and payment as follows: application fee, citizenship card, passport, degree certification, and letter of engagement. Refer to the Citizenship and Immigration Canada Web site for further information.

2) International Visitors receiving a stipend

To apply for a work permit see:

Note: Foreign workers who need a CIC work permit, but do not require an HRSDC labour market opinion include:
Post-doctoral fellows;
Research award recipients;
Eminent individuals, for example leaders in various fields;
Guest lecturers;
Visiting professors;
Citizens of the U.S. and Mexico appointed as professors under the university, college and seminary levels of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA);

3) Spouses or partners
Spouses or partners accompanying PDFs or long term visitors to Fields who are receiving stipends are eligible to search for employment once they arrive in Canada. Further information on the Spousal Employment Authorization initiative, can be found on the CIC web site.